Author Topic: Login Hijinks  (Read 8517 times)

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
Login Hijinks
« on: May 12, 2006, 10:25:17 pm »
Since it was kind of dumb to have in the first place, I finally got around to ripping out the main website login and tied that into the forum, so now whoever you are on the forum is who you are on the rest of the site.  No more signing up in both places.  Clicking login, logout, or signup from the front page will take you to the forum now instead of the old method.

As a result of this change, I had to wipe all the data that keeps track of which comments you've seen in the comics area, so everything will show up as new to you.  No biggie, though.

There is one known problem however, with the whole way the forum software keeps track of sessions, and how the code I wrote to interface with all that isn't doing everything the forum handles.  It seems that sometimes when you come to the main part of the site, the session may have expired, and you'll appeared to be logged out, though if you go to the forum, you're still logged in there just fine.  And as such, returning to the main part of the site after going to the forum suddenly makes you show as logged in again (since the session got re-created).  There's two ways for me to fix it, one being simple and making the logout button on the front page not work anymore (LONG STORY), and the other involves me digging through all the forum code to figure out how they do everything and rewriting it in my own code.  Hopefully the latter is do-able easily enough.

By the way, for anyone wondering why I can't just copy the code to make that work, it's because the forum is written in PHP, where as everything I wrote for the site itself is in Perl.  No comprende.

But yeah, if you notice anything broken, let me know, and in the meantime I'll try to hammer out these other issues.

P.S.  Oh yeah, and the Users Online at the top left there is inactive for the time being too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 10:27:01 pm by FyberOptic »

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
Re: Login Hijinks
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 01:07:55 pm »
Too bad that extension you talked about yesterday for putting Perl in PHP instead of the other way around! Oh well, maybe it can still help. Anyway, the chat page seems to be down:

Quote from: Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, fyberoptic@gmail.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 02:06:12 pm »
Aha, good catch.  All fixed.

I probably should just pony up to it one day and start writing everything in PHP altogether.  But Perl will always have a special place in my heart~~~~~~~~

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 03:26:56 pm »
I think I took care of that session problem.  You should stay logged in to the main pages now as long as you're logged into the forum.  Logging out just goes through my own code now instead of the forum's.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 07:55:08 pm »
Fychan permissions are restored now.  Anyone who had any particular access should have it again.