Author Topic: Nintendo Announces Japanese Wii Price  (Read 11244 times)

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
Nintendo Announces Japanese Wii Price
« on: May 25, 2006, 11:18:53 am »
Nintendo has apparently announced the launch price of the Wii in Japan to Famitsu, but since I'm sure none of us can read that, Videogamesblogger.com has the story, with conversions into American and European dollars!

Looking at the Wii price of 25,000 yen, that converts directly into $223 / €175 / £119. When deciding regional prices for their products they can’t just stay with the nearest number, but they can round it off so it’s easy for customers to pay for at the store. Keeping that in mind, we can expect the Wii prices to be: $225 / €225 / £150 !!

A price of $225 is right between the $200 and $250 marks that everyone was expecting, so it sounds about right to me.  Cheap for a modern console, but as the article mentions, once you add another controller and a game, you're still approaching $300.  Hopefully it'll be well worth it!

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
Re: Nintendo Announces Japanese Wii Price
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 04:07:43 pm »
Why are Euros rounded up more so much more than the others? Wouldn't 200 be an even more round number?

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 04:21:17 pm »
I think the European price is generally higher because of all the shipping reasons or something, I dunno for sure.  The PS3 is gonna be tons higher there, too.

This is the Japanese price of the console though that they're converting.  Nintendo is much more popular in Japan than here, so they're more likely to sell.  I still wonder if Nintendo might pull $200 here just for competition's sake.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 09:38:41 am »
it's already the most price competetive, and with all the jackassery Sony is pulling they may kill themselves soon.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 10:17:03 pm »
They won't go out of business but they'll save their asses with a cheaper sony 4 that's able to play blue ray disc and ps2 games. Lets make money on a bad system, and make a better system then the wii for less. This will most likely happen six, eight months down the road once they know how succesful the Wii will be in the U.S.
I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 11:47:46 pm »
I doubt they'll make a system for less, NOBODY beats Nintendo when it comes to prices, and Sony are kings of the $$, they make every accessory known to man for their system and charge a shit load for it, Sony will never make a cheap system.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 01:43:30 am »
Sony's surely hard at work developing the next media format that will never catch on, which the PS4 will be constructed around in order to push for marketshare . . !

Joefus

• Click Out Field Commander
  • Heehehe
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 02:05:30 am »
Seriously I think Sony's let the last two console generations go to their head and they just aren't even considering that they have competition from two companies that both have an incredibly good chance of eating Sony's lunch, dinner, and maybe even midnight snack if they keep on making dumb choices.