Poll

Which is the best car chase of all time?

Steve McQueen in 'Bullitt'
1 (20%)
Roy Schieder in 'The Seven-Ups'
3 (60%)
Nicolas Cage in 'Gone in 60 Seconds'
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Best Car Chase  (Read 14629 times)

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
Best Car Chase
« on: February 07, 2007, 08:14:09 pm »
So for the longest time I've always seen the car chase from 'Bullitt' being considered the best car chase of all time.  Both in peoples general opinions, as well as in "award show" types of things.

WELL I CONFUTE THAT.

I think not only is Roy Scheider cooler than Steve McQueen, but the car chase in his movie 'The Seven-Ups' was more exciting as well.  But it never seems to get much praise.  Oddly, both movies had the same stunt driver..!  He also did a scene in 'The French Connection', but that involved a train, and wasn't very exciting.

So yeah, you're welcome to suggest other chases if you can find the videos, but it should be something memorable.  I set the poll so that you can change your vote in the event more options are added.

Here's links to what's in the poll so far:

Steve McQueen in 'Bullitt'
Roy Scheider in 'The Seven-Ups'

An honorable mention is possibly the road rage scene in 'Marathon Man', but just because it's somewhat amusing to watch two old men.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:17:42 pm by FyberOptic »

Silver Ranger

Re: Best Car Chase
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 10:18:09 pm »
I like both chases, but I gave my vote to the seven ups because it's more exciting.  The Pontiac Ventura Roy was driving had a big power advantage over the caddy, but when it comes to the ramming match they had the caddy had a half ton weight advantage, so it could have crushed the little ventura like a tin can if it wanted to.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 10:28:27 pm by Silver Ranger »

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 05:10:36 pm »
I think that you're forgetting one. Blues Brothers.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 06:32:22 pm »
It's one of the funniest car chases, i think.

Also, a Family Guy car chase sharing a couple similarities with the Blues Brothers one.

As for the two car chases mentioned here, i think they're both pretty much the same. True the Seven-Ups one is more exciting, but the Bullitt one has some aspects which score over it.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 07:09:38 pm »
The Blues Brothers chase is good yeah, but it's too much like Smokey and the Bandit, in terms of just being funny and not meant to be taken too seriously.  If we were to enter those sorts of chases, I'd enter the entire first Smokey and the Bandit movie..!  Or, like, 95% of Dukes of Hazzard episodes.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 07:23:55 pm »
Gone in 60 Seconds?
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 07:51:35 pm »
Which one?

The classic version (part one, two, three, four) really wasn't all that exciting iffin you ask me (in the sense that it's really longgggg), unless you consider the fact that they actually had an accident and smashed into a police roadblock at one point, and they liked it so well that they left it in the film.

The modern one I can't find on Youtube, and I can't remember it all that well, but I think it was good.  A bit faked at times, perhaps, compared to classic chases.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 08:15:44 pm by FyberOptic »

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 11:20:33 am »
The new one was good, yes a bit faked at times, but still great

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 12:46:41 pm »
I went back and watched the movie yesterday, and it was a good chase I guess, but I don't personally think it's really in the same league.  Chase scenes these days are usually full of cuts everytime they go by or take a turn, which just lessens their overall feel.

Anyway, I reckon I'll add it to the poll, despite that.