Author Topic: The Purpose Driven Life Takers  (Read 13220 times)

LtSterling

• Art Gallery
The Purpose Driven Life Takers
« on: June 07, 2006, 10:59:57 pm »
It's based on the Left Behind Series books

http://www.talk2action.org/story/2006/5/29/195855/959

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
Re: The Purpose Driven Life Takers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 06:49:03 am »
You know, I read A Purpose Driven Life, and it was ok, but I realy don't feel a need to find a purpose in my life, since I see purpose as too subjective for any sapient intelligence to decide the purpose of another.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:27:56 pm »
The inside cover of the book reads:

You are not an accident. Even before the universe was created, God had you in his mind, and he planned you for his purposes. These purposes will extend far beyond the few years you will spend on earth. You were made to last forever!

Self-help books often suggest that you try to discover the meaning and purpose of your life by looking within yourself, but Rick Warren says this is the wrong place to start. You must begin with God, your Creator, and his reasons for creating you. You were made by God and for God, and until you understand that, life will never make sense.

This book will help you understand why you are alive and God's amazing plan for you - both here and now, and for eternity. Rick Warren will guide you through a personal 40-day spiritual journey that will transform your answer to life's most important question: What on earth am I here for? Knowing God's purpose for creating you will reduce your stress, focus your energy, simplify your decisions, give meaning to your life, and most important, prepare you for eternity.

I think it's good to believe in something, to have some idea of the meaning of your life, but from the tone of this book jacket, it seems Mr. Warren is setting the readers up to base their entire lives around their religion, i.e., making all their decisions based solely on what Mr. Warren says God wants them to do. I mean, a person has to think for themselves at least once in a while. It seems to me that anyone who abides by this 40-day program is giving themselves up.

LtSterling

• Art Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 04:39:24 pm »
Iv'e read the Left Behind Series, their pretty good.  The basis of the story is that the Rapture has happened and all the good people have been whisked away to heaven instantly with no warning.  Now, only the sinners are left on Earth during the time called the Tribulation and the story is told by their point of view of trying to figure out what happened and how they learn to realize it was the Rapture.

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 05:40:23 pm »
Well, I've read the part of the article on the game itself, and also some of the comments on it, and it seems that article is innacurate as to how sadistic it is.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 06:06:46 pm »
so, which is it, more or less sadistic than the article describes.

On a slightly related note, I think I'd pay for a game where I got to kill right-wing extremists and radical religious zealots, but not moderate-liberal Christians, because I love those people.

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 07:34:18 pm »
Apparently it's less, and you're not actualy rewarded for killing people, you just have to when they attck you. At least, that's what some other peole are saying about it.

LtSterling

• Art Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 12:29:01 pm »
The big issue is that those people will flame it because it is a video game depicting violence on relegious sects, dspite it being based on a book.

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 12:35:21 pm »
Obviously, they should have just made it "humans verses demons" like in almost every popular game that isn't humans verses aliens/robots/terrorists/Nazis/monsters.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 04:27:48 pm »
The big issue is that those people will flame it because it is a video game depicting violence on relegious sects, dspite it being based on a book.

So, the book encourages people to injure/kill members of other religions, or are you saying that being based on a book makes the game exempt from flaming.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 04:30:01 pm by Prox »