Author Topic: Webster Sterling Swenson: The Passing  (Read 21126 times)

Deck

Webster Sterling Swenson: The Passing
« on: February 07, 2007, 01:49:32 am »

On Febuary Third Webster Swenson of The Shyguy Kingdom and other websites passed away of a Diabetic Coma. I did not know him personally, so I will let others speak for me.

His Obituary:

Webster Swenson

FARGO - Webster Sterling Swenson was born on a beautiful spring day, April 17, 1984, in Bismarck. He died Feb. 3, 2007, at his home in Fargo.

Webster passed away in his sleep due to complications of his juvenile onset diabetes. He was in his senior year at North Dakota State University, majoring in computer programming.

At an early age, through Nintendo gaming, Webster discovered the joy of computers and that focus remained until his death. In his early adulthood, computer programming and all that it means sparked his passion.

Webster was currently serving as vice-chair for the NDSU Chapter of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), a national educational and scientific society. ACM and its members were the love of his life. For that group of friends, his family is thoroughly grateful.

Webster was responsible for the programming and design of several notable Internet sites including the Thomas Jefferson Hour, the Shy Guy Kingdom, and the Badlands Conservation Alliance.

Loved and admired by many - the young and the old - he will be sorely missed.

A service and viewing will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 7, at Bismarck Funeral Home, located at Highway 83 North and Calgary Avenue, Bismarck.

Webster's ashes will be returned to where he was conceived - the small, beautiful Webster Lake in northern Minnesota. May the loons sing over you, our Web.

He is survived by his parents, Jan and David Swenson; his brother, Graham; his grandparents, Jack and Vikki Swenson, Hines, Minn.; and numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.

He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Lloyd (Pa) and Edna Nygaard.

The Captain N Forum Thread:
http://forum.captainn.net/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1170546297

His Obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/BismarckTribune/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=86338592

His Obituary Guestbook:
http://www.legacy.com/BismarckTribune/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=86338592

His Websites:
http://cnn.captainn.net/
http://tsgk.captainn.net/

The Obituary also mentions him being involved with Thomas Jefferson Hour and the Badlands Conservation Alliance. Though I am unsure how. I believe these are the website they refer to:
http://www.badlandsconservation.org/
http://www.jeffersonhour.org/

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
Re: Webster Sterling Swenson: The Passing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 01:50:54 am »
I left this on his forum thread:

I didn't know Webster all that well personally, though I still popped around here every so often to see what was up.  We talked on AIM a few times here and there over the years, sometimes to ask me my opinion on an upcoming site change or things of that sort.  And we talked in chat some before too of course, but it's been a long time since I went in there.  So it's just pretty unbelievable for him to be gone, since it seemed like he would continue making N-Fans forever.  As such, he has my respect for being one of the most dedicated individuals I've known.

Best wishes to his family.

Vito

• Super cool detective
  • Collguy
  • Well, thank you Harvey! I prefer you too.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 02:11:00 am »
I never knew the guy personally, but you can't deny what he's done for spriting with creating the shyguy kingdom. It also seems he was a very enthusiastic individual who accomplished many great things in such a brief life. I don’t think I’ll say much more because I really didn’t know him and don’t wish to act like I did, but this news did really sadden me.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 02:47:29 am »
Actually I want to add to this a bit so that people can understand the significance behind N-Fans and Webster, after it came up in chat.

Basically, you're all here today because of him, in an indirect way.  Professor Hazard (currently of Snipe-Hunt, formerly Hazard Labs) and his initial gang of Haz Labbers were members at N-fans, where both Prof and Spug had comics hosted there at one point.  Prof eventually left, under less than stellar terms, and started Hazard Labs.  I of course was then eventually a part of Haz Labs, which introduced me to the world of N-fans and Webster himself through tales of Haz Labs history, as well as joining up myself to see what things were like there.  And eventually I branched off from the Labs as most of you all know by now, which leaves us where we are today.

Vito

• Super cool detective
  • Collguy
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 02:58:10 am »
HISTORY!

Spug

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 07:53:47 am »
o___________o

That's pretty weird. I also thought he'd be around forever, making a new episode of N-fans every day ever. I can't say that I ever liked the guy (and I don't think Prof's opinion of him was too off, either), but he was nice to me in the beginning and hosted my awesome sprite comic and website. And, of course, he gave birth to my online self and is the reason I ever came to know you guys.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 01:25:34 pm »

Mage

• Veteran Lurker
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 12:30:42 am »
N-fans was the first webcomic I ever came across, really. Kinda sad to know the guy responsible isn't around anymore. Where I am on the net today can stem from finding captainn.net. I wish him solace in the world he finds, and peace for those he left in this one.
<INSERT PATHETIC ATTEMPT AT A WITTICISM HERE>

Spug

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 03:47:34 am »
http://www.fybertech.com/images/Opening2001.GIF
That's so awesome. I hope nobody ever finds it on WayBackMachine or something.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 06:18:28 am by Spug »

Vito

• Super cool detective
  • Collguy
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 05:43:13 am »
See you shouldn't have said that because now Fyber totally will.

Spug

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 06:19:54 am »
Fyber has access to all data that is, has ever been, and ever will be located on the Internet. I'm just saying that if I apply for a job and the boss googles my name, I will get fired if he finds that comic.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 02:40:16 pm »
Fix'd

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
  • So I heard you like Mudkips
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 04:17:39 pm »
A saLUEte to the passing of an important man in the history of the Labs.
Ten years to the minute, no longer in it.

Spug

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 12:36:58 pm »
Fix'd
You seem to have re-typed all the text in a different font, because you couldn't find the original one. You may be sneaky, but my sharp vision sees all.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 02:53:57 pm »
Actually I'm pretty sure it's the same font.  But for some reason, yours was really dark, and mine was somewhat lighter even though I used solid black.  So I adjusted the white and black levels until it darkened enough to look similar.