Author Topic: SPRITE POSTERY PERMISSIONS  (Read 26901 times)

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
SPRITE POSTERY PERMISSIONS
« on: December 08, 2006, 03:14:49 pm »
Since there's a constant debate on the intertubes over what's fair and what's not in terms of the usage of someone's sprites, I started to lay down some guidelines for all future posting of sprites on Fybertech.  But once I got into the complexities of the issue, especially since there are those of us who have characters which exist outside of the Fybertech continuity as well (such as with Vito and Hindsight 20/XX), I decided to simply make this a topic where permissions could be posted on what can be used and for what.  I'll give an example with mine:

Sprites I create and post can be used anywhere on Fybertech for any project in question, without permission or credit given, whether it be a short single-issue bonus comic type of thing, or for an ongoing project such as a comic.

Sprites I create are preferably to be used within Fybertech, but no permission is necessary for them to be used outside of the website.  Credit for my work is recommended, but not required.

You can adapt such wording any way you see fit.  Some people might be okay with bonus comic usage, but not with ongoing comics, for example.  Some people might be okay with it as long as you ask permission first.  Some might be okay with it as long as it's only used within Fybertech.  Some might be okay with Fybertech continuity sprites being public, while other sprites they make remain private.  As I said, you can have any stipulations you want on the usage of your sprites.  I just felt this topic was necessary since so many of us have differing opinions on what can be done with their sprites.  So once you post here, all future sprites you post on Fybertech will adhere to your rules, unless you expressly state otherwise for a particular sprite or sheet you post.

Also, this part need not be repeated in your permissions, because it's obvious.  Don't take credit for something you didn't make, because if we find out, we'll likely make fun of you for all days for it.

My example is in fact my granting of permissions for sprites I post.  So anyone else worried about their sprites, post here so people will know what they can and can't use.

Until someone posts permissions here, their sprites are to be considered off-limits without permission, no matter what project you're working on.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:30:22 pm by FyberOptic »

Boris

• The Money Man
  • Collguy
  • Implying I need a job
    • You're lookin at it
Re: SPRITE POSTERY PERMISSIONS
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 03:20:54 pm »
I think fyber will make this clearer, but this is for any sprites you put up on fybertech. Intended for continuity or not, to resolve some issues that might have otherwise occured.

Sprites and characters I create and post can be used anywhere on Fybertech for any project in question, without permission or credit given, whether it be a short single-issue bonus comic type of thing, or for an ongoing project such as a comic.

Sprites I create are strongly prefered to be used within Fybertech, but I don't belive I can limit free commerce of anything I post on the internet and acknowledge they can be used outside of Fybertech with or without credit.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:30:14 pm by Boris »
<Armature> i just really want centaur Azula

Sean

• Gone.
    • Canavic Domain
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:32:34 pm »
Sprites and characters I create and post can be used anywhere on Fybertech for any project in question, For a short single-issue bonus comic type of thing, permission is granted but for an ongoing project such as a comic, the comic author in question MUST ask for my permission before use of any sheet.

Sprites I create are for use anywhere, but for an ongoing project such as a comic hosted outside the site, the comic author in question MUST ask for my permission before use of any sheet.

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 04:51:44 pm »
Any Fybertech related characters, or sprites I have created can be used without permission for small projects. holiday cards, comic jams. If you edit these sprites give credit. For large projects such as comics permission is needed. Characters outside of Fybertech that I have created I would prefer if you ask before using.
I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 09:07:15 am »
Use my stuff, it's cool by me, I'd like credit if it's something more than a one time thing though. Short, sweet, and to the point.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

Shadow

• Rope master
  • Gonna need more rope.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 10:22:03 pm »
Use my sprites if I create them, give me credit. Nuff said

LtSterling

• Art Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 11:37:28 pm »
Permission must be requested for any use of sprites I have posted or made.

easy enough to understand, yes?
Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 12:13:47 am »
I don't care what happens to my sprites, now, or ever. If I thought that pixels would be valuable enough for me to protect, I wouldn't post them all over the internet.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 12:15:46 am by Prox »

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
  • So I heard you like Mudkips
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 02:14:31 am »
Even though I don't have any sprites, and I never will, I give permission to use my non-existant sprites. Also my one or two existing ones. Although I have no idea who in their right minds would use such a thing.
Ten years to the minute, no longer in it.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 08:37:22 am »
I just wanted to post in bold like everyone else.  I hope I didn't need permission to embolden this.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

Mage

• Veteran Lurker
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 01:37:29 pm »
GO AHEAD, STEAL MY STUFF. JUST DON'T SAY YOU MADE IT, ALRIGHT?
<INSERT PATHETIC ATTEMPT AT A WITTICISM HERE>

Sean

• Gone.
    • Canavic Domain
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 02:08:32 pm »
Well this thread is going downhill pretty fast.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 07:34:36 pm »
I give everyone permission to use Sean's car.

But hell, the rules we're talking about are implied already. I'm not sure that anybody would come across a sheet of original sprites and steal them without knowing they weren't meant for public use. If they know already and are intent on stealing the sprites, it's not like saying any of this is going to stop them. Also, even if someone completely publicizes their spritery, i don't think a decent person would use them without giving credit anyways.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 07:39:54 pm by Prox »

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 11:52:30 pm »
I mostly just made this topic as a result of the one where we're putting together all Fybertech-usable sprites, to prevent any pissing from taking place in the future if someone used something of somebody elses in a fan comic or a new comic series or whatever without thinking they have to ask (even though it'd be in that topic).  I don't rightly care myself about sprites so much, it's mostly the character(s) I'd rather protect, which is why I decided to "limit" the use of anything I make outside of Fibbertech.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 12:01:36 am »
I think it'd be more of a compliment than a threat to anyone if someone used their sprites unedited in a comic, even without giving credit. If that happened with any of my sprites, I'd publicly thank the author for using them, so that 1) the word would get out that they were mine, and 2) I could avoid being hostile.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 12:04:03 am by Prox »