Author Topic: Robo-thread  (Read 9837 times)

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
Robo-thread
« on: October 07, 2006, 08:08:36 pm »
I figure sicne I like robots so much, I should make a thread about them. So now I am.

First off, I'll typing about the Robosapien series. I have the previous two versions, and they're very well-made. The first one is fairly manuverable and is good at chasing my dog around. I can't get it to do much other that walk around, make noises, and wave it's arms, but i didn't expect much more than that anyway. As for programming it, I could make it back up when it hit a wall and stuff, but I either didn't make a very good wall-following program, or the furniture in my house isn't good for robosapien navigating. Maybe I'll try the program on the website.

The second robot in the series is also neat, but realy as useable. Realy, it tends to fall down on hardwood and trudge in place on carpet, so it only realy moves on the stone tile floor of the bathroom. I think it would move better if it's leg motors were stepped down. Moving more slowly would probably make it fall over less, and the increased torque would let it move on carpet better. It's camera is more likeley to make it stop outright when it gets near a wall than anything else, but I guess if i hacked into it, which I'm supposed to do, I might be able to make it work better.

And for the next one, it's website is up now (the main website for the company is at www.wowwee.com), and I think I'll ask for it for Christmas, since it'll let me have a robot that I don't have to take apart to mess with. Not that I don't want to take robots apart, but I would like to have my own work space first, and the work bench out in the barn is covered with 2 broken PCs and a Star Wars model my brother is painting. I'll probably write a big reveiw about it when I get it.

I'll be asking for the NXT bot too, for the same reason as the RS Media, and also because I'll be able to make the mechanical parts, what with it being a LEGO kit and all. The biggest problem with it is that you get three motors, but if you want it to move you'll probably want to use two motors for movement, unless you built some mechinism where moving the motor backwards will work some kind of gear shift. Maybbe I'll be able to do that, and be able to make a robot that can move and have a hand that can raise, lower and twist. But then it might be to heavy. I could have the NXT motors activate controls for more powerfull motors, but then I might as well build a robot from scratch. I'll try to build a robot from scrath either way, but I'd like it if this worked well.

And speaking of robots that don't, i have a robot dog called Tekno that's exactly 1/10th of a step up from Poochie. Instead of sitting in place, it lurches forward until it hits something, then lurches forward some more, never realising that an obstacle is in it's path. What realy irks me is that it clearly has three motors, since it's ears and tail can wag seperatly, or both at a time, and also walk, but they didn't give it a motor for each side of it's body, so it can't turn left or right. I think being able to turn left and right is more important in a robt dog than being ale to wag it's ears without wagging it's tail and vice-versa. I should've gotten the I--Cybe instead. It did help me keep the organic dog out of the trash, since she's afraid of the robot dog, so I just put it in front of the can and she stayed away. I tihnk I'll be scrapping it soom, though. Unless a robot museum wants it or something.

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
Re: Robo-thread
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 09:07:21 pm »
I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 08:26:05 am »
BEPE BEPE BOOP BEPE BEPE!
as for the robots, I wanted one of those robosapiens, just never had the cash to get one.  Still even if I did I'd probably squander it.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 10:04:40 am »
Since we have this thread now:

Dance, bot, dance!

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 01:42:05 pm »
Killing robots/Not killing robots

Also, I probably won't be asking for a robosapien RS Media now, as the price seems to be more than I expected. Darn you British pound/dollar exchange rate! How dare you deceive me!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 02:10:09 pm by MDude »