Author Topic: Help MDude write an essay.  (Read 10286 times)

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
Help MDude write an essay.
« on: June 05, 2006, 06:20:47 pm »
Right now, I need to do a reasearch essay for English. My essay is on mercenarys, because I think mercinarys are cool and there isn't enught written about them. But I can hardly find anything about them at all! So could anyone tell me if you know any books or other non-internet source (I can only use one internet source) with factual information on mercenarys I could cite, let me know please, so I'll have something to write about.

Altzan

• Website Designer
    • My website of boringness
Re: Help MDude write an essay.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 06:57:03 pm »
Try American History. I remember in my 8th Grade course that some countries used mercrenaries in fightig their wars. Sorry that that was so vague...
TORTQUATO TASSO is the best name ever.

RANDOM WEBSITE
SEE MY POKEMANS CARD

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 07:18:04 pm »
Yeah, too bad I don't have history classes, or I'd use the book for it. Unfortunatly, almost all of the books I do find are narratives, and it's hard to do research with a book that dosn't just explain where everything is!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 06:15:45 am by MDude »

Sino

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 10:09:00 pm »
wait why such shitty spelling

Joefus

• Click Out Field Commander
  • Heehehe
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 11:02:49 pm »
You might try looking into Privateers from the American Revolution time period, they were mercenaries on the sea.  Also according to the James Bond movie The Living Day Lights, the British used mercenaries to defeat Napoleon.  Might be two areas you could look into for some info.

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
  • So I heard you like Mudkips
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 11:10:02 pm »
Joefus totally stole my suggestion, Privateers are the friggin best. There's also the German Mercs that the British hired during the Revolutionary War if you want more cool ones.
Ten years to the minute, no longer in it.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 11:14:51 pm »
I read this book, which is about the private military (essentially mercenaries). I'd say that you could get something from it to write a paper on.

I poked around Amazon a bit and found a few more books. My brother told me that this book is a good one too. From looking at the other few books on mercenaries there, I'd say that these two are probably the only two books you'll need.

EDIT: Here's some very official papers about mercenaries. Since they're PDFs, you could cite them as something other than an internet source.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:21:13 pm by Prox »

Vito

• Super cool detective
  • Collguy
  • Well, thank you Harvey! I prefer you too.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:55:06 pm »
I can't really help you much in actual refernces, but i suggest you might try doing some broad research at like wikipedia since that will give you some good ideas on where to look for specialized cases.

Jack Dandy

• Behold my shiny!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 12:28:18 am »
Try wikipidea they got about anything.
I LIVE AGAIN! When was my last post any way?