Author Topic: XBox + Electricity = FIRE?  (Read 8798 times)

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
XBox + Electricity = FIRE?
« on: December 15, 2005, 05:42:12 pm »
Another thing cross-posted from my LJ:

A while back, my brother and I started to smell some burnt smell coming from over on his side of the bedroom.  We couldn't figger out where it was coming from, so I got him to turn off his computer, and unplugged his Xbox.  His computer's power supply does get mighty hot, but upon him later using the computer again, there was no smell.  And to this day, I haven't smelled this smell.  However, the Xbox is still unplugged.  CURIOUS . . .

I went and read more about that tale I once heard of Xbox power cords catching on fire.  Turns out it was true, and Microsoft was even offering replacements.  I checked the manufacture date on my brother's system, but it's two months after the date on the recall models.  Though after doing more reading, I found it's not so much the cord's fault, as the Xboxes themselves are just shitty.  They were shorting out or some such, and the new replacement cords they were sending people were basically like a circuit breaker; if they detect a power issue, they cut off electricity to the system.  So instead of fixing the inherent problem in the system, it seems they were just bandaiding it with the better cord.  Your system might still be ruined, but at least there'd be no fire . . !  Even though the model is two months past the date they said, I think I'm gonna call'em and tell'em what's up anyway. 

Looking at screenshots, it seems the replacement cord had a huge thinger on it, which I figure is where the circuit breaker junks are.  Does anyone else with an Xbox have this type of cord?  My brother's is basically just a black cord, with like a small circular/rectangular thing towards the end which plugs into the system.  Actually, it looks like:

While the newer one is supposed to be like:

Which cord came with your systems?  And the date of manufacture is on a sticker on the bottom of the system, if you care to share that as well.

Red_Raven

Re: XBox + Electricity = FIRE?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 12:13:39 pm »
Well, I just took a look at my Xbox system next to my computer. It has the cord in the first picture. With the circle/square plug like you said.

Shadow

• Rope master
  • Gonna need more rope.
Re: XBox + Electricity = FIRE?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 01:56:52 pm »
Hey what the (bleep) thought I posted here