Author Topic: OMF BANDWIDTH  (Read 21522 times)

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
OMF BANDWIDTH
« on: December 30, 2004, 01:42:21 am »
To any Hazard Labbers who may come here when seeing the Labs won't load, the explanation is simple.  We exceeded our bandwidth, just like the error said.  lollll

It was probably several things which contributed to this, such as increased Omnidex work, backing up more of the site than usual after my compter died, Spug's Pokeeman forum, fetches, that Christmas music, general usage, etc.

Luckily the month is almost over, at which point the site should come back up.  Extra bandwidth goes for $1.50 a gig, which as far as I understood it, was supposed to be automatically charged to us if we go over, but apparently that isn't true.  I don't think Fizz Man would mind, since it's just $1.50, but it's still his money and his credit card involved, so I wouldn't wanna do anything with that without permission.

This just goes to show you that eventually, if the site grew to be 3-4 times the size it is now, we might start running out of bandwidth more often, and would have to upgrade our service plan.  Imagine the bandwidth B&G uses, with almost 30,000 users, compared to our 100.  And we have a much more bandwidth-intensive site as well.

Anyhoo, by the time someone got ahold of Fizz Man, the month might already be over anyway, so we might just have to ride it out until the bandwidth resets.  In the meantime, my site has plenty of bandwidth, so feel free to waste it.

On the bright side, it's the first time we ever managed to exceed bandwidth that I know of.  HOORAY US.

Spug

Re: OMF BANDWIDTH
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 09:12:35 am »
Yaaaaaaaay!

I feel a bit guilty for this because of the Pokémon forum (I sent money to Hazard not long ago, though, so maybe my guilt will be lessened! Ho ho!), so I guess it's soon time to move it off site. Many of my friends are now 18, so it shouldn't be a problem to get ahold of a credit card I could borrow. Soon you'll be rid of me~, if I can find a suitable host (right now, I'm considering Fuitad, because they're so cheap that It's actually cheaper for me to purchase web space there than to continue being hosted at the Labs).

At any rate, happy new year, I guess!

Professor Hazard

• ^ ^ v v < > < > B A SNIPE
    • Snipe Hunt Media
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 11:15:39 am »
Fizz Man told me in the event of this happening to automatically charge money to his card, but I'll try and get ahold of him anyways.

EDIT: HEY LOOK NONE OF THE IMAGES THAT ARE HOSTED AT THE LABS, LIKE MY AVATAR AND LINK BUTTON, ARE WORKING!

bumblefly

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 11:17:41 am »
I'mma try to get ahold of The Fizz, but is there a way to make the site host charge him anyway?  I thought it was supposed to be automatic.  Or are you supposed to anticipate your extra need for the month and pay for it then??
I guess I'll just let him know what's happened, and see if it's ok if the dolla fitty gets charged to him, IF it gets charged to him.

Spug

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 11:21:36 am »
When the bandwidth is spent, we can buy extra bandwidth for $1.50 a GB. They don't do that automatically, because they don't charge anything automatically besides the monthly fee. You aren't supposed to anticipate it either; I think we can perfectly well make them charge him right now by opening a support ticket (although they're probably slow, if I know them well enough). It's just $1.50, after all. He's rich~
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 11:23:20 am by Spug »

Professor Hazard

• Snipe Hunt Media
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 11:23:55 am »
Rich in spirit~

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 11:28:21 am »
We might just have to be a bit more conscious of our bandwidth usage from now on.  Posting Omnidex submissions on the board, for example, where dozens of people will most likely go and have them all load just to see why the topic is new, is a waste of bandwidth.  

I might could make some kinda software which would let rank O folk upload'em to the site temporarily until they're officially accepted and later thumbnailed.  Then a much smaller amount of people would be viewing'em.  Normal submissions would just still have to come through on the board though I reckon, but there wouldn't be as many that way.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 11:31:16 am »
Also, AND I QUOTE, from the Fuitad TOS:

If the client exceeds these limits, he/she shall be charged the rates listed as per the package agreement. On behalf of the user, to ensure the highest possible quality service and customer satisfaction, upon exceeding the limits set per the package agreement, they have until the end of the current billing period to upgrade their account to avoid any surcharges. Clients can request their website be suspended until the next billing period to avoid incurring any additional charges. Under normal circumstances, we do not automatically suspend accounts.

Spug

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 11:36:30 am »
lols. That makes no sense. Why did our account get suspended then?

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 12:09:10 pm »
And so, crisis over, as thy one known as Fizz Man has permitted us to spend his holy monies, with which we upgraded from the Bronze to Gold plans, giving us much more bandwidth per month.  Not to mention more storage space, which we were going to need eventually for the Omnidex anyway.

Spug

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 01:22:32 pm »
Good. Then we can leave this blue and gray shithole forever.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 01:54:28 pm »
Yeah, whoever runs this place must be a big fag.

Professor Hazard

• Snipe Hunt Media
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 12:39:30 pm »
WHO LIKES PENISES IN HIS BUTTS.

Boris

• The Money Man
  • Collguy
  • Implying I need a job
    • You're lookin at it
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 12:54:56 am »
So wait, wait, let me get this straight.

That webhost which shall remain nameless will automatically keep chargeing you for account renewals forever, with or without your permission, BUT WILL NOT gladly take your money automatically for bandwith overages?
<Armature> i just really want centaur Azula

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 01:23:36 am »
But their TOS says they do!1

I personally am glad to see that they won't try to charge you, because if fyber tech dot com became awesome and used a lot of bandwidth, I'd rather ask for extra myself than to have it automatically billed to me, in case I didn't have enough money for the bigger bill.  And also in case I was charged incorrectly for it.  IT'S LIABLE TO HAPPEN.