Author Topic: Shooting a screen  (Read 9522 times)

Iddi

• I'm not just a
  • '\(^o^)/'
Shooting a screen
« on: October 06, 2005, 10:23:51 am »
I wondered if there exists a program for Windows that can take screenshots better than the sucky screen shot button... I want to take pictured of movies which are watched on the PC, and the screen shot button seems to not be able to do this, all I get is a black or dark green screen, which I guess is all that is there and the movie is played on top of this with some kinda engine. I have no idea, but it's not working.

Thanks in advance!

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
Re: Shooting a screen
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 11:14:44 am »
The problem is that video is usually played on what's called an 'overlay', so when you press print-screen, you're capturing everything that's actually on the screen, but the video is being overlayed on top of that inside your video card.

If you're using Media Player, there's a temporary solution, but you lose video performance when it's set this way, so I'd only do it when you're taking screenshots, then set it back when done.  But go to the Tools menu, then Options, the over to the Performance tab, and click the Advanced button.  In here you'll see a checkbox under Video Acceleration named Use Overlays.  Unchecked that, and OK back out of that.  You might have to restart Media Player, I don't remember.  But now when you play videos, you should be able to grab them using print-screen.  Like I said though, I'd suggest setting it back when you're done.

An alternative is to just use a different player program altogether.  There's one called Media Player Classic which actually has an option in the File menu to save screenshots directly.

Iddi

• I'm not just a
  • '\(^o^)/'
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 11:23:41 am »
I thought of something that would be able to shoot the screen from MPlayer for example, since that's what I use most of the time. And I'd need to be able to just play one frame at a time, for capturing images for animations, etc., if you understand.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 02:05:20 pm »
Well I can tell you up front, this program won't be so simple to figure out at first, but VirtualDub is a free video editor that can do what you have in mind.  I've used it for many a thing, from capturing to re-encoding to even help make those animated Power Ranger icons I made once.