Author Topic: Website Updates  (Read 97474 times)

Mage

• Veteran Lurker
Re: Website Updates
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2008, 01:08:00 pm »
Well, I"m getting the occaisional 501/505 error when I try to load the main page, but I have no idea what the hell it means. Probably just my backwards IEism.
<INSERT PATHETIC ATTEMPT AT A WITTICISM HERE>

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2008, 07:07:24 pm »
Well, I"m getting the occaisional 501/505 error when I try to load the main page, but I have no idea what the hell it means. Probably just my backwards IEism.

That's strange, those are "not implemented" and "version not supported", and are given by the web server and not any code I wrote.  What version of IE was giving the problem?  And how often/how many times has it happened?

Mage

• Veteran Lurker
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2008, 10:35:25 am »
Newest version of IE7, a recent update of Explorer is what started the problem really(I don't really track this stuff too well). It happens maybe once or twice a week, I haven't really tried to pin down a pattern to it. I just need to refresh the page to undo the error, but I figured it could potentially snowball if not dealt with eventually.
<INSERT PATHETIC ATTEMPT AT A WITTICISM HERE>

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2008, 10:27:32 pm »
I thought we had a 4get topic, but apparently not.

Anyhoo, 4get has finally been switched away from the old ugly version to the perdier one.  And just today, I added in a new options area, so that you can change: the number of thumbs displayed on the page (up to 100), whether to display the poster's name, and whether to display the tag. 

Since the layout of the thumbs has always been dynamic (as opposed to an old-fashioned static table), I realized long ago that for some people there was an uneven number of thumbs on the last row, depending on your screen resolution (or just browser size).  So now you can adjust the number to whatever you want.  It's 36 by default, but I changed mine to 40.

The other two options are just personal preference.  It looks cleaner with nothing, which is how the beta 4get page started.  Then I added the tags, and later the names, but just wasn't sure if I liked it.  So I decided to just let people change it.

I think that's all to report..!

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2008, 01:32:19 am »
It was a minor update, but I have something else, so I'll mention it now.  I made and added a 4get icon to the Media dropdown menu.  I think a lot of folks just type the url, and there was still a link to get there via Fychan, but now it's one click easier.

Other than that, I updated the comics section.  Made the initial menu use Fychan-ish buttons, removed the gray background from the whole thing, changed some colors a bit to look nicer on the blue background, etc.

Also did a cosmetic change to the site here and there, but mostly trivial stuff.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2008, 09:10:58 am »
Oh Fyber... Where would we be without you?
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2008, 11:26:25 am »
* FyberOptic points at Snipe Hunt

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2008, 02:10:24 am »
More updatery.  I changed the logo on the main part of the site.  I didn't intend to, but after making some text graphics for the front page, I realized the logo no longer stood out properly.  I ended up changing those text graphics in question anyway, but I like this new logo.  Reminds me of lased-etching or something.

But yeha, I added some image-based text headers for the iRPG stats and Latest News things there on the front page.  I also gave all the comics image-based titles, but I'm not sure about the green there yet.  They also keep these titles when you click through to view one.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2008, 12:45:51 am »
Changed Fychan's appearance some, since I never really updated it after changing the background once before and parts of it looked bad against the blue.  Dunno if I'll keep it this way just yet, but it's better than it was.

Fixed some minor tag issues here and there to make all the pages I checked validate properly (using the W3C HTML and CSS icons at the bottom of the website pages).

Updated the F.A.Q.

Updated the template to fix a stupid mistake I made once before, which was causing the main part of the site to run in quirks mode instead of standards mode.  This fixed a minor image padding problem for 4get in IE, but it also meant some new problems in various places as the different mode lead to different defaults and priorities for the stylesheet settings.  I think I fixed most of them, but if anyone notices anything that looks odd, such as (probably small) font sizes and text alignment issues, let me know.

Anddd, it seems like there was something else, but I can't think of it.

EDIT: I also realized that the dropdown menus were broken as a result of the template fix, but I worked that out.  Only Firefox still tells me there's a script warning, but since it's retarded, it doesn't tell me where, so I'm not worried about it because it apparently works fine.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 01:24:29 am by FyberOptic »

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2008, 02:46:58 pm »
That template fix broke 4get pretty good.  Particularly the preview window that pops up.  But not only did I fix that, I also finally made it work in IE, believe it or not.  But it only works in IE7.  Any other version of IE defaults back to the simpler method of just opening the image directly. 

There is a problem with the IE version though.  Usually you can just click the image when it pops up and it'll go away.  Well that won't work for IE.  So I added a "close" link below the popup.  Works just as good until I can figure out why it's being a dummy.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2008, 10:19:08 am »
Figure it out before it gives ya a knuckle sammich.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2008, 02:14:37 am »
NO PANCH

I actually did fix it.  Yet another case of having to use an alternate method of accomplishing it due to browser h8, but you can click on the image preview in IE7 now to make it go away.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2008, 01:58:21 am »
I updated the 4get stats page, and then put a little link to it on the 4get page.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2009, 02:59:45 am »
ATTENTION.  THE SANTA HAT HAS BEEN REMOVED.  YES, THE SANTA HAT HAS BEEN REMOVED.

Carry on.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2009, 01:17:57 pm »
 :'( Miss you hat