Author Topic: Opera + Windows Media Player 11 Fix  (Read 7258 times)

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
Opera + Windows Media Player 11 Fix
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:45:11 pm »
For anyone who, like me, upgraded to Windows Media Player 11, and then found Opera couldn't play back WMV files properly without the window getting squished up and crap, there's finally a fix.  This was never directly Opera's fault, because Microsoft decided to be buttholes and not release a newer plugin for alternate browsers, but apparently one was finally made for Firefox, which Opera can take advantage of.

First of all, whether this works okay in Opera 9.20, I'm not sure.  Part of the update info for 9.21 (which just came out today) mentioned something to do with WMP, so you might need to upgrade for this to work properly.  You should always keep up to date anyhow.

But after that, you'll need the plugin DLL.  You can either do it the easy way, and get it from me, or if you don't particularly trust that, you can go to the trouble of extracting the DLL from the archive yourself.  If you do the latter, you'll need to first unpack the exe file using a normal unzipper application, then you'll need something to get the files from the MSI file inside.  I used some dinky thing called MSI Unpacker.  The file you're looking for is "np-mswmp.dll".

Anyway, close Opera, then go to "c:\program files\opera\program\plugins", and copy the np-mswmp.dll file into there.  And now, more importantly, find npdsplay.dll in the same directory, and rename it to something like npdsplay.dll.old, just in case you might need it again sometime.

Now go somewhere like Thorlinks.net and play some videos, and see if it's fixed.  For me, it works like a charm now.  It's great to have one less reason to open another browser!