Author Topic: Political Pigpin  (Read 186860 times)

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
Re: Political Pigpin
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2007, 08:42:07 pm »
I was gonna put this in linkfest, but then I thought there might be some kind of discussion, and it's semi-political, so.  Texas governor forces legislation to require girls to take vaccine against HPV

He kind of sidestepped the respectable way to do it, but considering it was a bunch of people with fairly stupid reasons for opposition (condoning premarital sex?  come on), perhaps it was the right thing to do.  It's obviously not free either, and will likely affect everyone to an extent, considering many will receive it for free that aren't insured.  I'm really not sure if enough people ever catch such a thing to warrant it, and it sounds like he might be trying a little too hard to pander to his lobbyists, but maybe it'll do some good.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 03:34:06 pm by FyberOptic »

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2007, 12:37:40 pm »
Fyber, that link leads to the article about the police chief giving himself a ticket.

But yeah, i heard about that. Cervical cancer isn't really that big of a threat, but i hear it does cause the deaths of about 4000 women per year. The doubt I have about the necessity of the vaccination is that most of the girls, who will have to take the shot in the sixth grade, probably won't have sex for at least six or seven years, presenting the chance that the virus will have mutated by then, requiring them to get another shot to remain protected. But oh well, who knows what'll happen.

In other news, I'm sure a lot of you have heard that there's a group of half-brained nitwits from different countries who got together and determined that there's a 90% chance that climate change has been augmented by fossil fuel burning. Now, opinions aside, let's just look at the facts. Human fossil fuel burning isn't a natural process. The earth has a system of maintaining a balance between carbon levels in the ground and air, but now that humans are burning all this fossil fuel (somewhere around 48.5 quadrillion tons per year), it's got to be causing at least a little bit of change. And the earth's chemical balances are so delicate that even a little bit of change can cause a much larger bit of change somewhere else.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 12:39:11 pm by Prox »

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2007, 03:35:39 pm »
If you're talking about the same report that is making all the news, I thought they came to the conclusion that humans WERE influencing the environment.

Also I fixed that url.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2007, 05:09:09 pm »
it was 90%, but the people who comprise the 10% were probably doing it to give conservatives something to argue on. How magnanimous of them...!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 05:13:08 pm by Prox »

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2007, 12:24:03 am »
Now that people are realizing that we are in fact actually causing the problem, I hear that Gore has been asked to speak in front of congress next month regarding it.

Actually, here's a link.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2007, 12:29:31 am »
I hear Gore also got nominated for the Nobel Peacey Prize, which is something that happies me greatly.

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2007, 01:12:41 am »
A few days back I had gotten tickets when he came down to Boise. I wanted to see what he had to say but never got to go.Tickets were free so no biggie. 
I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2007, 02:12:17 am »
I've said it before, but I pretty much suggest watching "An Inconvenient Truth" to anyone.  I think that covers his goals/opinions/suggestions more than anything.  It pointed out things I had never heard or seen before.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2007, 11:51:40 am »
I knew that our budget was in much better shape than it ever was when Clinton was in power, but this page makes you truly realize just how great.  According to Wikipedia, "Under Clinton, the United States had a projected federal budget surplus for the first time since 1969."

What prompted me to look for the deficit was from seeing Bush's plan to spend $2.9 trillion more on the Iraq  war, despite wanting to erase the deficit in 5 years.  IMPOSSIBLEEE.

Then I found this, which is a pretty neat way to see how the money is dispersed through the government.  You'll want to do the View Poster part to see.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:00:23 pm by FyberOptic »

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2007, 05:01:23 pm »
And they call them conservatives...!

Also, I am so totally buying that poster.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2007, 03:00:31 am »
Rupert Murdoch admits to using Fox News to support the Bush agenda.  Fair and balanced, indeed.  There's various links to different articles and the video in question, so you'll have to click around to get the whole story.  But basically:

Murdoch was asked if News Corp. had managed to shape the agenda on the war in Iraq. His answer?

“No, I don’t think so. We tried.” Asked by Rose for further comment, he said: “We basically supported the Bush policy in the Middle East…but we have been very critical of his execution.”

As I've said before, I don't rightly give a shit if there's a news channel which airs discussion programs that lean one direction or another.  Fox News however slants everything, even general news and headlines, and arranges their programming to best support that agenda, such as whenever Bush has something to ramble on about.  And all the while, they put up the guise of being fair and balanced, and adamantly try to defend this notion.  This is why they are not a legitimate news source in my eyes, because it's outright lying.

The scary part is just how many media outlets Murdoch actually owns around the world.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2007, 01:16:45 pm »
It's a Duketastrophy!
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2007, 02:46:46 am »
School sued by parents when teacher reads fairytale of two gay princes to 5 year olds.

Who even writes gay fairytales for children, let alone reads them to a class?

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2007, 06:37:51 am »
As I’ve mentioned before I come from a military family. I was in disbelief as NBC allowed a man named William Arkin to attack the military personally the way he did. What bother’s me most about this is the fact that they have done nothing.
Washington Post refuses to comment on the issue. Yet The day after William Arken writes an article whining about the hate mail he’s received and Bill O Reilly’s report on this. As he has the freedom to say this he should remember the people he calls paid mercenaries gave their lives for him to be an ass hole. Democrat, Republican aside I would hope most of you would agree that this man is indeed despicable. 

His statement:

"I've been mulling over an NBC Nightly News report from Iraq.in which a number of soldiers expressed frustration that with opposition to war in the United States.Through every Abu Ghraib and Haditha, through every rape and murder, the American public has indulged those in uniform, accepting that the incidents were the product of bad apples or even of some administration or command order. So we pay the soldiers a decent wage, take care of their families, provide them with housing and medical care and vast social support systems and ship obscene amenities into the war zone for them.and their attitude is that we should in addition roll over and play dead, defer to the military and the generals and let them fight their war. [This] NBC report is just an ugly reminder of the price we pay for mercenary — oops, sorry, — volunteer force."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/earlywarning/2007/02/demonization_and_responsibilit.html

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2007, 07:12:50 pm »
Arkin seems really detached. The people he was criticizing had their own views, and just because they're soldiers as well doesn't mean that they're for some reason not entitled to opinions or anything. They're no different than war supporters over here, except that they're over there. If in fact the soldiers were telling the American populace to just roll over and play dead and let the government and the military do what they want, then they're just as detached as Arkin. However, even if they did say things to that effect, it doesn't warrant denigration.

EDIT: God, i keep wanting to call him Alan Arkin. That'll show you how the entertainment industry has affected the United States...!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 07:26:56 pm by Prox »