Author Topic: Interactive Fiction  (Read 10589 times)

Boris

• The Money Man
  • Collguy
  • Implying I need a job
    • You're lookin at it
Interactive Fiction
« on: January 07, 2007, 04:39:07 am »
All right, I know this was proposed elsewhere, but my perfectly valid innocuous plot idea was co-opted for one which, (no offense) had no legs. So instead, because I'm in a writing mood but incapable of writing on Boston right now, I'm going to do Daily Fybertech right here, and you're all invite to write bits.
I would ask that you play by a couple of common courtousey rules. No major changes to other peopel's characters unless you ask them, and no radical plot hijacks to make your own god modded adventure. Basically while you can do whatever want with your paragapahs, the idea is at the same time is to make a story everybody can add too and enjoy.

The most interesting day at Fyber's Lab is the day right after some major happening. Everybody will hang out at the lab in case something else crops up, but it isn't like there's a whole lot to do, so we spend most of the day ammuseing ourselves and chatting to fill time. I'd say Fyber is hard at work watching for something new to pop up but to be honest he seems to drop defcon levels the longer the day goes on, and eventually he gets back down to stand by mode and joins us. I've always got reading to do for class or an idea to work on, so it's pretty easy to fill my time. Everybody else has their own special ways of entertaining themselves.
      I guess I should start this story a day back though. Fyber got us all together for the first big problem he'd come across in a month. Some little firm we'd never heard of before was trying to release Xenotech too much too fast. Now if it were up to me, this wouldn't even be a problem, but Fyber has his reasons for taking issue with the user of alien technology on Earth. Well as firms like this are apt to do, their stuff was guarded, and we couldn't even get much of a look at it to determine what their units did or why GOBLIN's web  resources were refering to them. For maybe the first time in our little band's history, we had enough resources to just march in their and take the orriginals and shut the opperation down. These units turned out to be DNA snoopers; they scanned the DNA of a target and then replicated tiny ammounts of it to fool DNA devices or to have for future refernces. Genetics on that level isn't possible on Earth, and it didn't fit either Zentaxian or Nylarian tech specs, so it's still a mystery where these guys got their start.
     We got back and got on a bit of a post mission rush research. I have a bit of experience in Biology and Electronics, and Deckar is more or less genius on Genetics, not to mention Fyber always seems to be good with Xenotech. As mentioned we found out what they did, but we also found out how to put our own versions together. Mostly this was a boost to Deckar, as it help cut the full body immersion time it takes him to recombign his DNA with an animal's. It's always good to improve that, as he get's more versitile the faster he can change over. We had it down to about an hour, but it seems to be more like 15 minutes with a Xenotech replicator speeding up the ammount generated for him to absorb. Basically he's ready to go by the time we have the car warmed up now.
      But that's for a future day, for now we're just winding down. I don't know, it's not like 'a night on the town' winding down or anything, it's like doctor's we're waiting for that other shoe to drop and to get to fixing what goes wrong. Sometimes you get lucky and it never does.
      I was occupying my time now tooling with micro power supply units. Based on an advanced part of HEAT, these little super battery packs made most of the stuff here run. Except for Fyber, who has an orriginal, and Vito, who doesn't tech up, and I'm pretty sure there's one in at least one piece of everybody elses stuff. I have one in my coilgun, Thor, for example. Buzzard's hoverbike now runs on one, Rhythm's soundwave control unit has one, Shadow's gloves run on one each, Bluejay's WING unit runs on a couple, Deckar's DNA production unit and tank run on lab power, but have on as a backup, Metzinger's arms are boosted by them. The list goes on. To be fair, I didn't have the idea until Arvix had already done it for HEAT, but seeing as I had Fyber's orriginal rather than just Zentaxian general tech to research I like to think mine were better.
     With a better generation rate, I finally decided to see what was happening with everybody else on cool down day.

I'll leave in in you guys hands to see how it goes from here.
<Armature> i just really want centaur Azula

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
Re: Interactive Fiction
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 03:12:24 pm »
      I carefully set the packs aside and arranged the one I was working on in a way that I could remember where I had left off. Upon rising to my feet, I saw that everyone else had also been occupied with something. Deckar was playing chess with Vito, Rhythm was simulating insect chirps and had already gathered a sizeable crowd, Buzzard was audibly out in the "garage" fine-tuning the Scavenger, Bluejay was writing something, and Shadow was eating a hovan roll while at the same time playing a game on his Playboy Triple Screen. Metzinger wasn't in sight, but knowing him, I wasn't curious or worried about where he might be. A book on the center table drew my attention. "Chaos theory: What the hell?", it was titled. Beneath the title were the words "(A Parody)". I opened the book half out of intrigue and half out of ennui. The introduction read: "As you turn the pages of this book, the simple thought would be that you are merely creating scarce bits of turbulence in the air. Others would have you believe you are causing a thunderstorm or a bloody nose or something, somewhere in the world. The purpose of this book is to explore the reasoning and thinking in the minds of the latter group of people and to discover how and why they conceived this idea, why it is crazy, and why it just might be crazy enough to work..." I was interrupted by the sound of footsteps. Fyber appeared in the doorway, his face set.
      "I have some good news, and some bad news."

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
  • So I heard you like Mudkips
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 05:00:04 pm »
Buzzard reached over and grabbed his wrench, dismantling the engine on his bike. "Well, shit, guess I shouldn't have gone so fast. The whole battery pack's been blown to hell and back." He pulled on his gloves, and started taking out the shards of the shattered battery out. "Hey Fyber, I blew out another one of your batteries. Think you could get me another one?" yelled Buzzard. "Aha! There's the problem. The fuse isn't working right." Buzzard pulled out the fuse and tossed it to the side, pulling a different kind out of one of the drawers. "Hopefully, I'll get this one to work." Buzzard got up, and walked into the store room, grabbing one of the many batteries that Fyber had produced over the past few months. Buzzard walked back towards the garage, noticing the mass of bugs gathering around Rhythm. "Hopefully this one won't backfire on me, or else I'll have to take out these enhancements." Buzzard sat down at the makeshift desk he had set up in the garage, and inserted the new battery into the engine." He put the shield plate back over the glowing green tube, and set it back in the Scavenger. He tightened the bolts on the shield plate, and ran a test run of the engine before shutting it down and heading back to the main hall just in time to hear Fyber walk in.
Ten years to the minute, no longer in it.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 05:46:22 pm »
(I just realized that it might seem like I was writing from a Prox point of view, but I wasn't, it was still on Boriscam.)

Shadow

• Rope master
  • Gonna need more rope.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 05:49:20 pm »
Shadow was feelng very, VERY frustrated. "DIE ALREADY YA STUPID SPIDER THNG!" He then saw his charecter get impaled on one of the many legs of the boss charecter. The screen then went black and a message said "It's official, YOU SUCK!" Shadow then grabbed his nearby hovan roll and threw it at the screen. He regreted his decision when he saw the roll explode in a mess of bread, meat, cheese, and vegatables. "Mother fucker...." He then looked in horror when he saw some of the juices from his snack leak into the console vents. "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" *crackle* *bzzt* *short out* His console was fried. "Thats the 5th one I broke this month! Dammit!" He sighed and went out to the main hall to hear what Fyber had to say this time. He reached the main hall just in time to hear Fyber's speech begining.