Author Topic: Plothole Hijinks  (Read 14706 times)

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
Plothole Hijinks
« on: September 07, 2006, 04:10:43 pm »
I've talked about things I've noticed with Back to the Future before, and since I thought of another thing, I thought I'd just make a whole topic to discuss possible plotholes in movies.

This also has to do with BttF and their concept of time travel.  I had the realization that the Earth moves, and that if you traveled through time, even by like an hour, the planet would be in a different position than when you left.  You could end up inside an object, or on the other side of the planet (due to rotation), or even in mid-air depending on how far the planet had moved.  Or worse, if you traveled a few months, the Earth would be quite a ways away, and you'd appear in the depths of space..!  The only reliable way of traveling through time on a planetary level would be to plot out the exact moment in time that the planet would be in the exact same position and alignment, which means you couldn't pick and choose your destination time quite as openly.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 04:13:51 pm by FyberOptic »

Altzan

• Website Designer
    • My website of boringness
Re: Plothole Hijinks
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 04:40:37 pm »
*Altzan time travels and appears on the Oprah Show
TORTQUATO TASSO is the best name ever.

RANDOM WEBSITE
SEE MY POKEMANS CARD

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 05:00:35 pm »
*Altzan appears underneath Tom Cruises' jump-fest on the couch*

Altzan

• Website Designer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 05:02:59 pm »
I would reply with a witty, crushing comment If I knew what that was.  ::)

But anyways, what exactly is this? (Not the plothole, the game/story/whatever)

RANDOM WEBSITE
SEE MY POKEMANS CARD

Boris

• The Money Man
  • Collguy
  • Implying I need a job
    • You're lookin at it
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 06:00:11 pm »
It's always possible the system is rigged to move through space as well as time. It was a car afterall..!
<Armature> i just really want centaur Azula

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 06:13:29 pm »
This was sort of covered in the movie "Time after Time" but in a backwards ass way.  Basically there is a time machine that is used in the 18th century that transports it's user through time, but it also took them from London to LA because aparently the machine had been moved there over the years, so it was existing both inside and outside of time.

As for BttF... I can no longer watch it even though i love it as I nit-pick all the science in it.  I have found this passes to ALL time travel films.

P.S. Fyber... NEVER watch The Sound Of Thunder unless you want to have a brain explosion.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 06:26:10 pm »
My other possible flaw with the movie's time travel theory is that once they leave in the time machine to go into the future, they can never change their own future, because they won't exist there.  They stopped existing in the timeline the moment they traveled through time.  Them appearing in the future via the time machine would have been the only copies of them in that time period.

Of course the other flaw is simply going back in time at all.  There's no way you can not influence history, because even standing somewhere is enough to possibly cause someone to take a different path, which could have a gradual effect on many things throughout the day which wouldn't have necessarily happened that way if you hadn't been in the way.  The whole butterfly effect creating a hurricane deal.

Altzan

• Website Designer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 06:46:37 pm »
P.S. Fyber... NEVER watch The Sound Of Thunder unless you want to have a brain explosion.
Don't watch it either.

And my personal belief is time travel isn't possible anyway so why worry about it.

RANDOM WEBSITE
SEE MY POKEMANS CARD

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 06:54:09 pm »
I don't believe the time travel we see in movies will ever be possible either, but it's theoretically possible to "travel through time" by moving really fast, near light-speed.  But you can only going into the "future" that way, because of how time slows down or whatever the scientific explanation is.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 09:36:03 am »
Further BttF problem I thought of, let's accept that they CAN travel through time and end up right where they travelled from, it's still not possible to suddenly introduce more mass into the world like that, there is air, dust, viruses, micro-organisms, they may be small but they are occupying that space at that time, so by appearing there suddenly like that you would introduce matter into matter, thereby destroying everything involved at the least, and existance at most.  Though I think they tried to cover that with the 3 booms, I figure the time machine would have to create a vaccum to enter into the new "time-space".

As far as the "Dissapearing Marty" impossible, any effects of time travel would not occur to the one actually going through time as they orriginated in a time line where thier life fully occured.  So basically, you could go back in time, and (if you were sick enough in the head) replace your parent in your other parents life.  sure you'd have strange and deformed babies that would technically be your sister-daughter, but you would only create a new timeline where you were never born.  Anything you brought with you, and you yourself would be fine, no change due to the fact that you DO exist.  (if this is at all unclear just message me, I'd be glad to try and clarify)  Basically it comes down to Marty replacing his dad in his mom's heart would not make him dissapear. And if he did, it would have been instantaneous. 

Of course, it's just a movie.  Maybe we shouldn't be picking it apart like that. Maybe we should just sit back and enjoy it. Right?
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 09:55:12 am »
But what's the fun in that . . !

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 04:20:16 am »
I don't believe the time travel we see in movies will ever be possible either, but it's theoretically possible to "travel through time" by moving really fast, near light-speed.  But you can only going into the "future" that way, because of how time slows down or whatever the scientific explanation is.

Would Cryogenics be considered time travel? Your moving forward to, although the world around you is still going on.
I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 07:29:27 am »
No not really, as even though you're not concious or growing, you exist, you would still theoretically have future shock, but it's basically like sleeping.