Author Topic: Does anyone know where to get a...  (Read 12116 times)

Altzan

• Website Designer
    • My website of boringness
Does anyone know where to get a...
« on: August 10, 2006, 09:24:28 am »
...cord to display a laptop's screen on a television? I know Macs have this ability, but what about Windows XP? One of my friends, a whiz on things like this, said there was a cord that accomplishes this, but he said they are no longer made. What are they called? Where can I get one? Is there a certain port or jack required for me to use it?
TORTQUATO TASSO is the best name ever.

RANDOM WEBSITE
SEE MY POKEMANS CARD

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
Re: Does anyone know where to get a...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 10:08:54 am »
A laptop would have to have that ability built into it already, and the cord needed would vary depending on the laptop brand/model.  You'd have to check the manual to see if it has such a capability.  My brother and I have very similar model laptops (Thinkpad 600 vs Thinkpad 600e),  yet mine has video out, and his doesn't, for example.

You can get what's generically called a VGA scan converter though, which will convert most any standard VGA signal into a television signal.  It's more than just a cord though, it's usually a little box that hooks in between the laptop and the tv.  Depending on the features you want, you might could find a used one on Ebay for like $30 or something.  "Scan converter" is usually a bit too generic, so "vga to tv" (or svga) usually gives more results, but you have to be careful, because some folks sell a simple cable which hooks straight from the VGA port to the TV, which would have very limited usage (if any) compared to a real scan converter.

Altzan

• Website Designer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 03:41:44 pm »
If it helps any, I have a Gateway Solo Laptop. I included a picture, and two of ports that I cannot identify:

RANDOM WEBSITE
SEE MY POKEMANS CARD

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 11:26:07 am »
I can't tell much from those, though I'm curious if the round one might be a standard composite video cable jack.  The kind that your video game systems or camcorder might use to plug onto the tv, you know.  If it's the same thing, you can prolly use a normal video cable you can find most anywhere.

Altzan

• Website Designer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 02:17:30 pm »
No, for both of those, the black areas are "holes" and the symbols beneath.

RANDOM WEBSITE
SEE MY POKEMANS CARD