Author Topic: Games from movies  (Read 33082 times)

Red_Raven

Games from movies
« on: November 27, 2005, 01:17:54 pm »
Has anyone noticed that alot of video games from movies suck, thier short, thier graphics suck.

magus

Re: Games from movies
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 01:46:58 pm »
i don't see why they have to make videogames out of the movie.

Red_Raven

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 02:18:50 pm »
_           _
  \(o_O)/

Joefus

• Click Out Field Commander
  • Heehehe
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 04:00:52 pm »
Joefus explains all:

Movies are made into games for one reason and one reason only.  Money.  Yes that green stuff that you stuff in your wallet everday.  This inconspicious piece of paper drives many a man to perform actions that by some could be considered "evil."  In fact this for-all-practical-puposes-worthless-paper has so much power that it even makes the world go round.

This has been another episode of Joefus explains.

Now onto the opionions:
Movie based games have up until recently been pretty bad.  But a string of games like LotR, Goldeneye, Star Wars Battle Fronts, King Kong, and several others have been turning this norm around.

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
  • So I heard you like Mudkips
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 05:33:18 pm »
FACT
Ten years to the minute, no longer in it.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 08:36:48 pm »
True there were some exceptions to the rule... but let us not forget the flip side, Movies based on games... so very few good ones out there, so much crap...
Resident Evil: Good Movies
Mortal Kombat (first one only) Good movie
Um... can't think of any more, but I know there are a few.....

Bad:
Double Dragon
Wing Commander
Super Mario Bros.
Anything Uwe Boll puts his name on
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

Joefus

• Click Out Field Commander
  • Heehehe
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 09:45:32 pm »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think Mario Bros is an awsome movie.  I even bought it on DVD  ;D

LtSterling

• Art Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 10:09:04 pm »
Tomb Raider  = good movie
final fantasy = bad movie
Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 10:18:27 pm »
I think the worst part is that most of these movies COULD have been good, they just weren't.  Get the scripts from the lowest bidder, since everyone involved in making it gets their paycheck whether it sucks or not, then they promote it and make some money no matter how badly it does, and usually profit from some merchandise for a few months afterwards.  If it were about actually entertaining the fans and not profit, I bet we'd have some awesome movies.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 11:18:36 am »
Also if they'd actually get people who had played or had ANYTHING to do with the games in question.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

Vito

• Super cool detective
  • Collguy
  • Well, thank you Harvey! I prefer you too.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 10:58:05 pm »
I actually wrote a paper about video game movie transitions and why they fail. I might try and find the paper and post it here one day, but here are teh basic reasons video game don't makethe transition very well.
1. Time. Movies are generally 2 hours or less. Games are usually 10 hours or more depending on the game, those Japanese RPGs are like eleventy billion hours. It's hard to compress the story that takes 10+ hours to tell into 2 hours.

2. Interactivity. If you played the game it's a step backwards.You are no longer in control. You could totally make that character run without falling and shoot teh zombie right in the head, the charcter on the screen is rather inept. It's the lack of control taht makes it less interesting.

3. Bad choice of games. Some games are known for their story some games aren't i.e. fighting games like Double Dragon and Street Fighter. Also, if that Metroid movie ever gets made it will be horrible. There's no real dialouge and the movie would consist onlyof jumping and shooting. That is if they choose to follow the games plot whichleads to the next argument.

4. Choice of whether to retell or do something new. If tehy decide to tell the storyof the game they won't be able to condense it or put all the apsects in the game. People aren't full of items...I think. However, if they did try something new it would be bad because they aren't remaining faithful.

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
  • So I heard you like Mudkips
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 11:08:38 pm »
About the Metroid movie thing. They could always do the Prime series, or add in dialect to the first one or something.
Ten years to the minute, no longer in it.

Haul

• KAMEN RAIDA?
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 11:35:10 pm »
A lot of recent movie-based games have been good. LOOK AT THE WARRIORS GAME. Spider-Man 2, and The Path of Neo were also both good.

MDude

• Meticulous Maniac
  • Enjoy machine world.
    • My Soundcloud Account
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 06:22:01 am »
If they do make a Metroid movie, they could always just make it not a remake of a game at all, and have it be a movie set in the Metroid universe.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 09:45:45 am »
Like Final Fantasy was?