Author Topic: FyRC  (Read 27919 times)

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
FyRC
« on: October 25, 2005, 02:22:30 pm »
I finally put together a Fybertech customized version of mIRC for those who are interested.  You can get it here.

If you already have a customized mirc you're comfortable with (hchat, snipe, whatevers) then there isn't much benefit in getting this one.  This one does have some updated features though, but they may not necessarily warrant switching over.

Here's a GETTING STARTED guide:

First, unzip it somewhere, don't try to run it out of the zip file.  And if you know what I'm talking about, make sure "Use Folder Names" is enabled in Winzip so that you extract the folders.  If not, it's no big deal, you just miss out on a background image and a sound effect.

After unzipping it, run mIRC.exe, and it should pop up and connect automatically.  You'll be a guest by default, but you can use "/nick YOURNAME", minus the quotes, and replacing YOURNAME with what you want your name to be.  At this point you should be good to go for basic chattery.

If you want to set a color, first enable the function by typing "/enable #set-colors".  Then bring up the color chart by pressing control-k.  You'll want the number of a foreground and background color.  Remember those, the backspace away any junk in the chat line and type "/setcolors".  First it'll ask for the foreground color, then the background.  Just put in the numbers you wanted for the colors, and you should be chattin' in style.

A new feature is having mIRC automatically identify you on the Fybertech server whenever Nickserv tells you to.  This is useful if you change nicks and then change back, so that you don't have to do it manually.  First enable the feature with "/enable #autoident", then use "/set %nickpass.NICKNAME PASSWORD", replacing NICKNAME and PASSWORD with your particular nick and pass.  And that is a period between "nickpass" and "NICKNAME", not a space, so don't leave that out.  You should be able to use this for multiple nicks too if you so happened to have more than one.  But keep in mind, this script is untested on servers other than Fybertech, so it might not work there at all.

Another new little toy is the /up command.  This uses the moo.dll to obtain info about your system, such as the processor speed, operating system type, and other interesting tidbits, and displays them in chat.  The free disk space part of it doesn't seem to work properly for most folks, I dunno what's up with that.  But I didn't make the DLL file, so who knows!

The auto-away system is off by default.  Some people found it to be annoying, and I don't even use it anymore myself, but if anyone still wants to, use "/enable #autoaway", then "/set %ft-autoaway.active true".  Next time you reconnect to chat, it should become active.  This takes advantage of the SystemIdle.dll I included, which fetches the actual system idle time instead of mirc's idle time, but unfortunately doesn't seem to work properly in anything less than Windows 2000.  You can also use "/set %ft-autoaway.time SECONDS", replacing SECONDS with the number of seconds before you become idle.  The default is 900 (15 minutes).

Other commands are:

/notes - Opens up notes.txt in notepad.  Handy for keeping track of bits of info you want to remember later.

/todo - Opens up todo.txt in notepad.  Might not be as useful for you, but I use it all the time!

/dice - Rolls #d# style dice.  For example, type /dice 1 20 to roll one twenty-sided piece of dice.

/whome - Performs a /whois on yourself.

/ovn - Does an op/voice notice.  Only people with a @ or + can see what's said.

I guess one of these days I should make some of the scripts (like auto-away and setcolors) be a bit more intuitive with menus or dialog boxes, but until then, hopefully I explained everything well enough.  And if you need help with anything, feel free to ask!

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
Re: FyRC
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 12:42:22 pm »
Something else I should probably mention here for the GETTING STARTED guide is how to register your nickname.  Registering nicks is server-related, actually, so you can do this either through javachat or mirc or whatever.  It's not entirely necessary to even register unless you have a reason to.  But to do so, after you've changed to the nick you want to register, type the following:

/nickserv register PASSWORD

Replacing "PASSWORD" with the one you want.  Then when you come online, you can use:

/nickserv identify PASSWORD

After you change to your nick.  Then it'll know you're who you say you are.  This is handy for channels where you're an op or have voice status, otherwise you don't get it.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
FyRC not working for me
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:58:26 pm »
Dear Tech Support,

When I try to get on FyRC, it says:

* Connecting to irc.fybertech.net (6667)
* Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)

Please tell me if there is anything I can do to prevent this.

Signed (not really),

Mr. Clueless H. Customer

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 09:17:36 pm »
That's strange.  NOW I ASK QUESTIONS.

Are you at home when trying to connect?
How long did you try to connect?
Does the Java chat work on the main part of the site?

Altzan

• Website Designer
    • My website of boringness
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 09:30:05 pm »
sorry to interrupt, but I want to say this is a NEAT program. I found your GETTING STARTED section a little hard to understand Fyber, but it helped. And setting it to auto-goto #Fybertech was neato.

Five-stars!
TORTQUATO TASSO is the best name ever.

RANDOM WEBSITE
SEE MY POKEMANS CARD

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 11:06:49 pm »
I am indeed at home.
I left it on last night and it went all the way up to 99 attempts with the same results, and then stopped.
The Java chat gives me the same answer, but with different wording.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 12:30:34 am »
It sounds like the standard IRC port (6667) might be getting blocked then.  Ports you can try are:

6666, 6667, 6668, 6669, 5555

To do different ports, just use something like /server irc.fybertech.net:6667

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 12:55:22 am »
I tried it with all of those, and none of them worked.

EDIT: I think it might be something with my internet connection, but it's weird because internet explorer and mozilla work just fine. I can't go to Google, however. Does Google work for you?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:58:34 am by Prox »

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
  • So I heard you like Mudkips
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 01:20:14 am »
Google works just fine for me. Who the hell is your Service Provider, anyways?
Ten years to the minute, no longer in it.

Altzan

• Website Designer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 05:05:19 pm »
That happened to me this morning. I got on, but only 2-3 people were on. It wwas silent, then it "timed out" and I couldn't connect to the internet at ALL, even though it was a "Very Good" signal. It's fairly normal now, though.

RANDOM WEBSITE
SEE MY POKEMANS CARD

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 05:17:51 pm »
If you're having problems even with Google, I'm inclined to think it's more likely to be something with your connection.  Though it's odd that some sites still load.

Altzan

• Website Designer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 07:55:40 pm »
Maybe some still load because he's been to them before recently and it saves it into the Temporary Internet Files section. It does autosave all HTML files that some sites have.

RANDOM WEBSITE
SEE MY POKEMANS CARD

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 11:21:32 pm »
It turns out my computer had some problems with uTorrent, so after uninstalling it and renewing my IP address, I was okay again. I can use IRC and Google again now, but I can't torrent those old Lucasarts point-and-click adventures. frown.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 06:42:12 pm »
HELO AGAIN.  I upgraded the SetColors script to be much more user friendly, since I realized it's kind of stupid to have to explain how to enable it to everyone whenever they get a new copy of fyRC.  This one makes a menu whenever you right-click in a chat window, which lets you toggle the colors function on and off (which is network-independent, meaning you can have it on for FyberNET but, say, off for DALnet), and lets you pick the color number, all from the menu.

To instawl, you can quit mirc, and put this script into your fyRC directory, then start mirc back up.  You'll have to enable the color function via the menu first, but then it should work as good as always.

As far as I can see the script is fine, but as usual, if any issues, just hollar.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 01:16:29 am »
I guess this is as good a topic as any to put this in.

I updated the IRC server software, which gave some new features, many of which I don't think I even know of yet until I peruse the documents..!  But here's a couple of neat things you can do now:

/mode YOURNICK +h

This masks your IP address so that other people can't see it clearly.  You can add it to your Perform settings if you want to do it at connect time.

/server irc.fybertech.net:+6670

Done in mIRC, this connects to the server using SSL, which means the traffic is encrypted.  This is useful for when you're on public wifi or somewhere that you're not sure how safe the connection is, so that nobody can eavesdrop on your passwords and chat.  By default, mIRC doesn't come with the OpenSSL DLL files, but they have info on the main site on how to get that going.  Or more directly, just install this I guess.  Not many other clients support this mode yet, so you'll just have to check your own to see.

I'll post more as I find out neat things.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 01:18:11 am by FyberOptic »