Projects and Development > Hardware Dorkery

Belkin F5D6230-3 Router

<< < (3/4) > >>

FyberOptic:

--- Quote from: mly on October 08, 2007, 11:41:10 am ---Hi,

The card seems to be AWLAN WS8P/IEEE.
I just take it out from my F5D 6230-3 and insert into the laptop.

On another note, I am playing with an idea to build netbsd install for this hardware.
I have some experience with *BSD clone, however I have no idea how
to load the build into the flash memory. Regards, ML

--- End quote ---

Oh cool, I had been meaning to see what my laptop would show the card as.  But being soldered into the router, it would have taken some juggling, so I never got around to it.  I took apart a Siemens router once though, and I believe it was a very similar if not the same card in it.  That card had a little antenna jack on it though.  But it worked pretty well for general wifi use.

I don't know hardly anything about BSD to be honest.  But from what I've read before, the ARM ports aren't very far along.  Do you think it would even support ARM7TDMI-type architecture?

blunderbuzzard:
so has anything come of this? I have one of these too, and I'm contemplating using a vxworkskiller, and then attempting a tftp...

FyberOptic:
I didn't have the parts I needed to make the buffer for the JTAG cable, so I pretty much never worked on it any farther.  I don't believe any vxworkskiller type of things will work on this one, mind you, hence me initially trying to make the cable.

Besides, the 1MB of flash isn't going to get OpenWRT or any of those operating systems installed.  My initial goal was to somehow put my own stripped down version on there, but the kernel alone was going to take over half the storage space I think, which doesn't really give you any space for doing anything useful.  Busybox would have also been necessary for most of the basic linux functions, and that would have eaten up another big chunk of storage, probably more than would be left after the kernel took its spot.  There's just not enough, that's why they went with vxworks.  Disappointing, I know.

FyberOptic:
What incredible irony that in my search for the BEFW11S4, an older Linksys router which I've just come in possession of, I find my own page on Google.  And then I realize that the parts I'm looking for are in fact the same as this old Belkin one here that I gave up on.  The difference though is that this Linksys has 8MB of flash and 16mb of ram.  Plenty for running a Linux installation.

Of course, making one work on it is an entirely different story!

One big difference here though is the wifi.  The Linksys has Intersil ISL3871AIN33.  But something amazingly coincidental is the design of the circuit board in that area.  It looks as if they printed a PCMCIA card directly onto the board.  It's a rectangular bordered shape, even with a bunch of tiny eyelets at one end, reminding me of the pins of a PC card.  I'm wondering if it could be identical to the one in the Belkin which I couldn't identify.

I'm almost tempted to put the Belkin firmware on the Linksys just to see what happens.

Bluejay:
If you busk the Linksys I can send you another Mr. Fyber, so go ahead and dorkery with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version