Author Topic: Compy-speak  (Read 9037 times)

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
Compy-speak
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:57:42 am »
I was thinking the other day, everything has its own jargon, trades, TV, radio... I was thinking of all the words created or changed by the advent of computers and the internet, so list a few you can think of.

Dot com - Come on, 20 years back if you said these words together people would think you were talking about a new Hindu Nightclub.
Hack - Used to mean hitting something repeatedly with a blade, or a severe coughing, now it's a fun way to mess with Scientologists.
Spam - Formerly a meat "product" few people would ever touch with prior knowledge, now it's the type of email that promises to enlarge your penis.
E-mail - Everything has an "E" on it now electronic whatever, or to old people; "That damned new-fangled crap."

These are just a few I can think of.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
Re: Compy-speak
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:50:17 pm »
Wi Fi- Wi is it all the rage, and fi should I care?  :D

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:23:55 pm »
Captcha: I guess it'd be more of a slang or accented way of saying "captcher", but now it's those boxes on website forms where you type in letters and numbers or match up cats or something to ensure you're a human.

Macro: Usually a prefix meaning "large", these days it can be like a recorded series of keypresses and/or mouse movements, or some other scripted method of simplifying a task.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:34:10 am »
"Gif" "J-peg" "MP3" and all those file extensions that are now actual words in everyday life.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.