Author Topic: St. Patricks day  (Read 47661 times)

Ciono

• Coffee Fiend
  • Fybar Wannabee
    • In Praise of Folly
Re: St. Patricks day
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2006, 09:48:46 am »
Ok, Ciono's confused now. (btw, HitomiBoy, I love that avatar).
Booyaka

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
  • So I heard you like Mudkips
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2006, 11:07:57 am »
Yeah, he showed me that this morning. I guess it's one of those jokes you have to read Harry Potter to get. I know I did!
Ten years to the minute, no longer in it.

HitomiBoy

• People. Mmm Mmm Good.
  • -Phago-
    • Melpomene
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2006, 12:59:25 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, they did try and take Jesus out of Christmas. They now call the nativity scene the Holiday Homeless People, And Jesus is now the Holiday Infant.

They also already succeeded in taking St. Valentine out of Valentines day.

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2006, 09:07:31 pm »
OLD. Hey, they managed to take the Paganism out of Christmas, now they're just taking the religion out of it once again. Sounds like capitialism is the next religion to take over all the holidays!

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2006, 09:18:20 pm »
Catholesism is still a poly-theistic religion, but instead of various Gods that do and explain everything, there are saints.... Anyone else notice this?
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

Ciono

• Coffee Fiend
  • Fybar Wannabee
    • In Praise of Folly
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2006, 11:40:30 pm »
That's a really interesting point there, Bluejay. The whole "patron saint" thing reminds me of greek kingdoms that had a patron god. Very interesting indeed.
Booyaka

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2006, 01:23:54 am »
I've always noticed that, just never pointed it out. Patron saints aren't the same as Patron gods though. Saints don't actually do anything, they're just people to look up to and ask for help. Patron gods were just like they sounded, Gods that you prayed to and believed could and would help you if you gave them offerings and such. Still, it's a true and probably lesser known point.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2006, 04:33:14 pm »
Saints don't actually do anything, they're just people to look up to and ask for help. Patron gods were just like they sounded, Gods that you prayed to and believed could and would help you if you gave them offerings and such.

That sounds pretty much the same to me Buzzard, you pray to both for aid.
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2006, 01:43:48 am »
HMMMMM...! I blaim religion for making me biased. NEXT TIME GADGET, NEXT TIME...

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2006, 01:48:45 am »
So why would you pray to Saints and Mary when your prayers dont reach God through them? I never quite understood that.
I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

HitomiBoy

• People. Mmm Mmm Good.
  • -Phago-
    • Melpomene
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2006, 03:07:13 am »
Technically, in the Catholic Church, everyone is a saint. However people like Saint John Paul 2, for instance, are people who have reached a point of holiness to where god has done miracles through them. Curing the blind, water to wine, etc... Saints are by no means Gods, simply EXTREMELY holy people.

Mary is different. Mary was immaculately conceived Mother of God. She is pure and completely free of sin, and so if you pray to her and she sees it right, she can ask Jesus (God) to do it. Jesus will do it if mary asks him to, because if Jesus always does what mary asks, knowing she will not ask something impure.

Now as for the Trinity itself, the Trinity is one God, God is the Trinity. Complex yet simple.

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2006, 03:52:48 am »
Christains believe that there is only one God, but the nature of God is one of relationship and love. This is expressed in the belief in the trinity (for most Christians) being three persons, father, son and the holy spirit in the one being of God. If I offended anyone with my last post it wasn't intentional, but thanks for answering.
I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2006, 10:57:27 am »
Basically what it all boils down to is this..... We're still trying to worship many gods.... but keep the appearance that we're no so we can persecute "pagans".

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2006, 04:23:09 pm »
Hmmmm... I have an answer to that! Pagan gods are multiple entities that are said to be actual GODs. Saints were actual people who performed miracles. There isn't a single saint out there with the exception of maybe St. George the dragon slayer.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2006, 05:42:02 pm »
This is why I favor Buddhism.