Author Topic: Game Reviews  (Read 23212 times)

Joefus

• Click Out Field Commander
  • Heehehe
Re: Game Reviews
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 11:48:37 pm »
I have to disagree Vito. Ten Point scale is vastly better.  You get a better feeling of where a game falls in terms of things.  With a five point scale you have to many games falling into the same score range.  Then it depends on how much the actual review tells you as to figuring out which game is worth your time and money.  And with the five point system I think back to Nintendo Power's wishy-washy five point reviews that never told you what you should buy.

Vito

• Super cool detective
  • Collguy
  • Well, thank you Harvey! I prefer you too.
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 11:56:08 pm »
Well Nintnedo Power was never a really great review magazine in my opinion. Thats why I love X-play with reviews that are usually spot on.

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
  • So I heard you like Mudkips
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 12:11:47 am »
Nintendo Power actually used the 10 point system for a while. But they could never give a game a 10 because there was no game that was perfect in all aspects, which them look worse because a 10/10 looks a hell of a lot better than a 9.5/10.
Ten years to the minute, no longer in it.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 12:26:39 am »
If you ask me, scoring systems are pretty much a nothing in the current situation. It's true that people investigating the quality of a game will often just skip the actual review and use the score to determine whether or not they want to buy it. If we were actually going to make a website which catered to potential gamebuyers, then by all means, let's continue arguing. It's clear that we're not going make such a website anytime soon, so the type of scoring has little to no value.

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
  • So I heard you like Mudkips
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 12:33:54 am »
If you ask me, scoring systems are pretty much a nothing in the current situation. It's true that people investigating the quality of a game will often just skip the actual review and use the score to determine whether or not they want to buy it. If we were actually going to make a website which catered to potential gamebuyers, then by all means, let's continue arguing. It's clear that we're not going make such a website anytime soon, so the type of scoring has little to no value.

HE'S THINKING INDIVIDUALLY! KILL HIM!
Ten years to the minute, no longer in it.

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 12:53:38 am »
And then they did me in with shivs.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 12:02:20 pm »
I think 5-point scales work fine depending on where they're being used.  Like for X-Play, they get the point across just fine, having gone into a detailed explanation of what they think a game should get, and then they stamp the score on it at the end for good measure.  I don't really even pay much attention to their scores, aside from the comedy value when a game gets a really low one.  I'm more interested in the actual opinions, since just five points can't really portray how good a game is.  I mean there's lots of games I'd give 4 out of 5 stars, since they're above mediocre but below awesome.  So like I said, it's the explanation of that score which makes the difference.  As for a website such as Gamespot, I think the 10-point scale works much better, because I can look up a game and at first glance see a more accurate rating of how good a game might be without reading the review itself.  Because this is the internet, and I don't know how to read.

I SAY WE USED THE ONE HUNDRED POINT SCALE FROM NOW ON.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 12:04:00 pm by FyberOptic »

Vito

• Super cool detective
  • Collguy
  • Well, thank you Harvey! I prefer you too.
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 12:47:44 pm »
with 2 decimal places!

Joefus

• Click Out Field Commander
  • Heehehe
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 08:59:43 pm »
I give this scoring system a 092.23 out of 100.00 points.