Author Topic: Ultimate Spider-Man  (Read 8952 times)

Haul

• KAMEN RAIDA?
Ultimate Spider-Man
« on: November 04, 2005, 09:12:45 pm »
I've been pretty much o-dicted to this series since I discovered my book store has most of the collections. I have 7 now, I think, and I really like some of the redesigns of characters and origins. Some of the better redesigns have been them changing Electro's absolutely ridiculous outfit to something less dumb, and the way they reworked Jameson into actually seeming human! Of course, when you change a bunch of stuff, of course some things will end up dumb and retarded, and sadly, three good villians ended up retarded. Green Goblin was changed into a giant ogre-like guy who can throw fireballs, which isn't a bad design in itself so much as that it's so far from what he was, it seems dumb. Shocker got totally changed, going from a fairly powerful spidey villian with a unique look, into looking like an eskimo who wants to play laser tag, who poses no threat to anyone ever. Carnage probably got it the worst out of all the 'big' villians though, being a genetic experiment that combined Spidey's DNA with the Symbiote suit that made Venom, giving him no personality or motive at all, which is probably why he was killed in the space of like four pages. A lot of stuff happens out of order too, or happens totally different than it did in the original, such as Gwen Stacy being killed by Carnage instead of Green Goblin, Gwen Stacy never being Peter's girlfriend, and Mary Jane being his girlfriend from the start, and knowing he was spider-man from the start.

FINAL WORD: It's good, but if you're real anal about your spider-man character designs and origins, you should probably stay away.

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
Re: Ultimate Spider-Man
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 09:20:49 pm »
Despite the changes I actually got into the book. It's one of my favorites. Haul, you should try a book called Invincible. It's a decent read.
I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

Joefus

• Click Out Field Commander
  • Heehehe
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 12:50:11 am »
I've read Ultimate Spidey 1-4 or 5 (which ever one teh Green Goblin attacks the school in) and then a compilation book of the Carnage story.  They were all pretty good reads, though I agree, Carnage got really screwed up in this story.  I like the other insane one lots better.  I wouldn't mind finding a few more issues for reading.

Bluejay

• HERO OF FYBERTECH (tm)
  • Collguy
  • Careful, or the mice will rise up.
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 11:20:01 am »
It's been a forever and a day since I read any Spidey books... I should drop in on our local comic book shoppeand indulge a bit but I've also found since reading Manga I'm liking american comics less and less. DAMN YOU SHONEN JUMP!!
One day, when the zombies rise and destroy humanity; I will survive, I will live on, I will take your best stuff for myself.