Author Topic: Show off your sprites!  (Read 153639 times)

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
Re: Show off your sprites!
« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2006, 02:48:59 am »
Part of an animation i'll be getting to later on.
I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

Vito

• Super cool detective
  • Collguy
  • Well, thank you Harvey! I prefer you too.
« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2006, 08:49:46 am »
HAW, that's nice. For some reason I want to see the face outlined in black. It just looks a little out of place with the rest of the body although I might just be nitpicky very nice looking regardless.

ecto

• Ghosty,ghosty!
« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2006, 07:18:56 pm »
I already tried outlining the face in black. Didn't look right to me.
I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney, then go for a car ride with Ted Kennedy.Neuf sed.

Red_Raven

« Reply #168 on: June 06, 2006, 08:53:48 pm »
Oh man, I can't wait to make this sprite, once things in school cool down, exams and research papers. I started skecthing My Mysto character and had a few ideas to make it look better. Im gona dump the hat, have white hair (since in all my games with custom heads my hair is white) eyes maybe. change the clothing a little bit, it wil be a shirt with long sleeves. how im making it black with wite i dont know yet. The pants is the same as the shirt. Just figurng out where to place the black and the white.

Also I came up with a pretty good name. I dont know if it suits my character or not. name: Wallo

LtSterling

• Art Gallery
« Reply #169 on: June 07, 2006, 02:05:44 pm »
A little something I made last week or so for a Yorukun who wanted to be in a Posted comic.  The first is a sprite sheet edit of Lise and the second image here is her CMC avatar which she wanted her sprites based on.
Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.

Buzzard

• Flying biker bandit
  • So I heard you like Mudkips
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2006, 09:32:46 pm »
Pretty cool, Gar.
Ten years to the minute, no longer in it.

HitomiBoy

• People. Mmm Mmm Good.
  • -Phago-
    • Melpomene
« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2006, 12:07:48 am »
How i maked kirbies?

where_my_metroids?

• Where's my metroids? >:D
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2006, 12:27:06 pm »
I will try once more to show my first (horrible) sprite. it is definitly a work in progress. I realised that the more I looked at it.

Red_Raven

« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2006, 02:11:37 pm »
Hey! What happened to al the sprites and artwork? last time I was here things were pouring in!

Jack Dandy

• Behold my shiny!
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2006, 11:28:51 pm »
Built from the ground up of Microsoft paint which isn't saying much for me pity me for this is my first. I call him Joe no fingers.
I LIVE AGAIN! When was my last post any way?

Prox

• lolwut
    • Right here
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2006, 03:18:57 am »
Here's what I's been working on all week. It's the new, nehru-jacket-wearing Prox.

The sprites themselves aren't all that good, but I'm proud of myself because it was all done from scratch, except for the hat, which I got from that awful green mega man guy.

FyberOptic

• King of Earth
  • Administrator
  • Oh god what is that?
    • Fybertech.com
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2006, 11:19:32 am »
Built from the ground up of Microsoft paint which isn't saying much for me pity me for this is my first. I call him Joe no fingers.

Iffin you want to start making sprites, I will give you TWO (2) tips.

1.)  Don't save them as JPG.  Not even ever.  It applies compression to the image and makes it look rather shitty, no matter how high you turn the quality up.  Use PNG, preferably.  But if that's not available, GIF is next best, though it's limited to 256 colors.  When it comes to sprites, though, you rarely need more than that.

2.)  Try to retain a constant amount of pixels per area, or "sprite integrity" as they used to call it in the Labs days.  Basically that means that you want your "pixels" to all be a constant size, and not have some appear large and others small.  Prox's looks pretty good, so it's a good example.  All the "pixels" are lined up and of the same size, and look like something right out of an SNES.

I use pixels in quotes, mind you, because generally sprite sheets are resized to be larger than the sprites were in the games so that you can see'em well on your computer screen.  Making a sprite sheet larger makes the number of physical pixels per sprite pixel: the resize factor, squared.  In less confusing terms, if you make a sprite twice as large as the original, you now have four physical pixels for each sprite pixel.  So if you're drawing a sprite at twice the normal size, you want to draw four pixels to represent one sprite pixel, and they all need to align to this invisible four-pixel grid.  Hopefully this paragraph wasn't 100% confusing . . !

Simply put, a good way of drawing sprites to ensure "pixel integrity" is to just draw them at original size in the first place.  Work zoomed-in of course to make it easier to see.  Then when you're done, you can pixel resize it to twice as large, and all your pixels will be perfect.  16x32 is a good old-fashioned size to work in; even Mario in the original SMB was that size, though generally it doesn't matter if your sprites are a little bigger than this, since you're not working within video game hardware limitations.  When I resize Prox's sheet to half the size, they all almost fit 16x32 boxes.

Somebody else has prolly mentioned these tips before in a less-winded post, but I don't guess it hurts to repeat'em every so often.

Mage

• Veteran Lurker
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2006, 12:44:03 pm »
Here's a good example sheet:

EDIT: This sheet is still 100% normal size. I multiply 4x to achieve full size.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 12:47:34 pm by Mage »
<INSERT PATHETIC ATTEMPT AT A WITTICISM HERE>

Red_Raven

« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2006, 01:26:33 pm »
Here's what I's been working on all week. It's the new, nehru-jacket-wearing Prox.

The sprites themselves aren't all that good, but I'm proud of myself because it was all done from scratch, except for the hat, which I got from that awful green mega man guy.

Holy Shit Prox, thats good work!

Jack Dandy

• Behold my shiny!
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2006, 04:05:27 pm »

Iffin you want to start making sprites, I will give you TWO (2) tips.

1.)  Don't save them as JPG.  Not even ever.  It applies compression to the image and makes it look rather shitty, no matter how high you turn the quality up.  Use PNG, preferably.  But if that's not available, GIF is next best, though it's limited to 256 colors.  When it comes to sprites, though, you rarely need more than that.

2.)  Try to retain a constant amount of pixels per area, or "sprite integrity" as they used to call it in the Labs days.  Basically that means that you want your "pixels" to all be a constant size, and not have some appear large and others small.  Prox's looks pretty good, so it's a good example.  All the "pixels" are lined up and of the same size, and look like something right out of an SNES.

I use pixels in quotes, mind you, because generally sprite sheets are resized to be larger than the sprites were in the games so that you can see'em well on your computer screen.  Making a sprite sheet larger makes the number of physical pixels per sprite pixel: the resize factor, squared.  In less confusing terms, if you make a sprite twice as large as the original, you now have four physical pixels for each sprite pixel.  So if you're drawing a sprite at twice the normal size, you want to draw four pixels to represent one sprite pixel, and they all need to align to this invisible four-pixel grid.  Hopefully this paragraph wasn't 100% confusing . . !

Simply put, a good way of drawing sprites to ensure "pixel integrity" is to just draw them at original size in the first place.  Work zoomed-in of course to make it easier to see.  Then when you're done, you can pixel resize it to twice as large, and all your pixels will be perfect.  16x32 is a good old-fashioned size to work in; even Mario in the original SMB was that size, though generally it doesn't matter if your sprites are a little bigger than this, since you're not working within video game hardware limitations.  When I resize Prox's sheet to half the size, they all almost fit 16x32 boxes.

Somebody else has prolly mentioned these tips before in a less-winded post, but I don't guess it hurts to repeat'em every so often.

Thanks for the tips.
I LIVE AGAIN! When was my last post any way?